While there are certain components of your garage door that require professional attention, such as the springs, tracks, and cables, there are still some fixes that any homeowner can handle on their own. For example, reprogramming your opener, remote, and keyless entry pad is a task that you can easily accomplish. Follow along as we share a commonly asked garage door fix that you can do on your own.
Why Reprogram Your Opener
There are many reasons to reprogram your garage door opener or entry pad. If you’ve given your code to a service technician, you should reprogram it. Or, if you’ve moved into a new home, it’s a good idea to reprogram both your keyless entry and your opener. Garage door remotes can get lost or stolen out of vehicles and if your vehicle registration is in the glove box (which is where most of us keep it) you’re giving a thief your address and a key inside your home. In other cases, you’ve simply bought a new garage door remote and need to sync it to your opener. No matter the reason, it’s a simple process to reprogram your remotes, opener and keyless entries.
How to Program Your Opener to Your Remote
Your garage door opener is the motorized unit in your garage that lifts and lowers your door. While different models have different features and button locations, the concept is the same.
- Press and hold the Program button until an LED light goes on. Depending on your model, you may have to press the Program button again to get to the correct menu option for programming a remote. Flashing LED lights are a good indicator that your opener is ready to program to your remote.
- Press and release the remote button you wish to use. You may have to do this a few times.
- Use the button to operate the door.
How to Program a Wireless Keypad
We recommend you bring the wireless keypad near your opener to save time, along with your remote. These instructions are for Odyssey and Destiny openers. If your Overhead Door opener is a different model, refer to the instruction manual.
- For the keypad, press and hold the Program key, 6 and Up/Down key in order. When the lights go out on the keypad, release all three buttons.
- In order, press and release these buttons: 3, 5, 7 and Program. The LED should now be flashing.
- Enter your chosen PIN. It should be between three to eight digits. Then press the Program button. The LED should flash twice.
- At the opener, press and hold Program until the LEDs goes on. Release and one LED should remain lit. To get to the programming menu, press and release the Program button again and the LED should start flashing.
- Pick up your remote or clicker and press the button already programmed to the opener. A second LED will start flashing.
- Enter your PIN into the wireless keypad and press the Up/Down button. The LED lights on the opener should go solid. Press the Up/Down button on the keypad again to set the programming.
Our customer service goes beyond the sale. We provide instructional videos for programming your opener right on our website. Or, give our garage door experts a call at 712-252-4431 and we will walk you through it.